The City of Oakland will be closed on Wednesday, December 25, in observance of Christmas Day and Wednesday, January 1, 2020, in observance of New Year’s Day.
Police, fire and emergency services are not affected during the holidays.
Specific Service Impacts for December 25 and January 1:
- Both December 25 and January 1 are parking holidays during which motorists do not need to pay for parking at City meters.
- No street sweeping will occur.
- Serious emergencies—such as sewer overflows, traffic signal outages, objects completely blocking the street to vehicle traffic and major flooding conditions—will be responded to.
Oakland Public Library
- All library locations will be closed Tuesday, December 24, Wednesday, December 25, and Wednesday, January 1.
- Tuesday, December 31 all branch locations have reduced hours, closing at 5:30pm.
Oakland Animal Shelter
- The Animal Shelter will be closed Tuesday, December 24; Wednesday, December 25, Tuesday, December 31, and Wednesday January 1.
- People who find stray animals and cannot hold them when the shelter is closed should call (510) 777-3333; OPD non-emergency dispatch will then contact the Animal Control Officer on call to handle. Other animal related emergencies can be reported the same way.
- Emergency medical calls for active bites to humans can be reported through 911.
Oakland Parks, Recreation & Youth Development
- Visitors will have access to parks, however gates and restrooms will be closed, and staff will not be on site.
- Facilities will be closed on Wednesday, December 25 and Wednesday, January 1. All, facilities will have reduced hours on Tuesday, December 24; Thursday, December 26; Tuesday, December 31; and Thursday, January 2.
- Winter Break Camp schedules
- Call your local recreation site to confirm schedules. For phone numbers, visit our website
- All Senior Centers will be closed on Wednesday, December 25 and Wednesday, January 1.
Head Start/Early Head Start Programs
- All Head Start and Early Head Start program sites will be closed on Monday, December 23 – Friday, December 27, and Wednesday, January 1.
# # #