On Friday, the City of Oakland activated respite centers in response to unhealthy air quality stemming from the ongoing wildfires in the region.
These two initial locations will welcome residents seeking relief on Friday and Saturday. The locations will be staffed by Disaster Service workers from the City of Oakland.
Respite Locations in Oakland
- Dimond Library - 3565 Fruitvale Ave, noon – 7pm
- North Oakland Senior Center - 5714 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, noon- 5pm
As of 12:30 PM: The Air Quality Index was 247, which is considered Very Unhealthy.
People with heart or lung disease, older adults, children and teens:
- Avoid physical activities outdoors.
- Avoid strenuous outdoor activities.
- Keep outdoor activities short.
- Consider moving physical activities indoors or rescheduling them.
Information on ongoing air quality in the area can be found on the Air District website, http://baaqmd.gov, and residents are encouraged to visit http://acphd.org/air-quality.aspx for health and safety tips.
For updates on available Respite Centers, please visit the City of Oakland website, https://www.staging.oaklandca.gov/.