Oakland, CA — The Oakland Police and Fire Departments are joining forces to help our community members safely celebrate the 4th of July. Illegal fireworks and celebratory gunfire have no place in our City. Fireworks, explosives, and celebratory gunfire are illegal and can cause injuries, fatalities, and fires, putting those in our community at risk.
Officers and Firefighters will be educating our community members regarding safety and illegal fireworks. Those caught with illegal fireworks can be cited and/or fined up to $10,000, plus imprisonment.
The safety of our community members and those visiting Oakland is paramount. During the holiday weekend, OPD will have increased staffing to concentrate on illegal activities. Individuals observed in celebratory gunfire will be arrested.
OFD will have roving patrols to maintain high visibility and deter illegal firework activity.
- To report gunshots or celebratory gunfire call 911, or OPD emergency number at (510) 777-3211
- To report illegal firework activity, sales, or persons with a large cache of fireworks call the Fireworks Tip Line at (510) 238-2373 or OPD Non-emergency number at (510) 777-3333.
In efforts to get illegal fireworks off our streets, and prevent fires the Oakland Fire Department has set up fireworks collection barrels at the following fire stations:
· Station 1: 1603 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
· Station 3: 1445 14th Street
· Station 4: 1235 International Boulevard
· Station 5: 934 34th Street
· Station 18: 5008 Bancroft Avenue
· Station 20: 1401 98th Avenue