On June 25, the State of California extended the rent eviction moratorium through September 30th, and increased reimbursement percentages for rent relief to 100% for a total of 18 months from when the tenant first applied for relief.
Other components of the Governor’s Eviction Moratorium Extension:
- Extends eviction protections through Sept 30
- Makes rental property owners eligible for 100% rent debt relief accrued between April 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021. Any owner who already received assistance at the 80% rate can get the remaining 20%. Makes tenants, whose landlord does not apply on their own, eligible for 100% of their rent owed since April 2020
- Property owners can get 100% even for tenants who have moved out
- After Sept 30, owners must seek rental assistance and give eligible tenants the opportunity to seek assistance before eviction. The 15-day notice requirement would still in place
- Regions within the state with higher needs may get more funds
What this means for Oakland
The aforementioned September 30th state extension end date has no impact on the City of Oakland. Oakland’s moratorium on evictions and rent increases will last until the Local Emergency is terminated by Oakland City Council. All other points of the Governor’s extension may apply to Oakland residents and property owners. Visit the rental assistance pagefor more housing resources for tenants and property owners.
The Rent Adjustment Program (RAP) a division of the City’s Housing & Community Development Department, reminds tenants and property owners to always ask before you act – contact a housing counselor with questions about the eviction moratorium and all other housing matters. Call (510) 238-3721 or visit: staging.oaklandca.gov/rap
# # #