The Oakland Police Department has seen an increase in carjacking’s citywide. Many of these incidents appear to be crimes of opportunity. Sometimes the stolen vehicles are used in other crimes like residential robberies and theft of personal belongings. Often, multiple suspects are involved in committing these crimes.
In some cases, victims have reported that while in their vehicle at stoplights or stop signs, individuals have tried to take their property. There are also reports of individuals intentionally crashing their vehicles into a victim’s vehicle. When the victim attempts to exchange information, the suspects steal their vehicle.
Reduce Your Risk:
• If you’re involved in a vehicle accident, pull into a well-lit area like a gas station or a business if possible.
• Do not get out of the vehicle if you do not feel safe.
• Call 911
Additional Safety Tips:
• Park in well-lit and well-traveled areas.
• Have your keys accessible before going to your car.
• When approaching or leaving your vehicle, be aware of your surroundings.
• When in your vehicle keep doors locked and windows closed.
• Park as close to your destination as possible.
• Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running.
#OPDCARES initiative is about working together as a community to help stop the tragic loss of life and reduce the level of violence in our city. Collectively, we want to ensure Oaklanders and our visitors are safe in our community.