Construction has been completed!
Paving of both East 15th Street and Foothill Boulevard is complete. The project brings ADA-compliant curb ramps to make it easier for people to cross the street, curb extensions to shorten pedestrian crossings, and buffered bicycle lanes to create a safer, more comfortable environment for all roadway users.
The E. 15th St. and Foothill Blvd. corridors are home to Franklin Elementary School, one of the largest schools in Oakland, along with many homes, churches and small businesses. AC Transit buses serve these corridors.
East 15th Street is included in the City's Pedestrian High Injury Network, which are the 2% of Oakland's streets with 36% of pedestrian injuries.
OakDOT aims to enhance this street to create a delightful, safe place for the community to enjoy. Improvements include:
- Reducing vehicle travels lanes to one in each direction to keep people driving closer to the posted speed limit
- Adding high-visibility crosswalks to increase yielding to people walking
- Adding bicycle lanes in each direction to create a dedicated place for people to bike
- Moving bus stops to safer and more convenient locations
- Expanding school loading zones to accommodate families dropping off and picking up children
Past Community Meetings:
- Bella Vista NCPC 10/14/2020
- Greater San Antonio NCPC 11/11/2020
- Bella Vista NCPC 1/10/2018
- Greater San Antonio NCPC 3/14/2018