As part of the Shelter in Place/Social Distancing guidelines, the Oakland City Council began conducting its meetings virtually using Zoom which removed in-person participation. However, there are multiple ways to observe and/or participate in City Council meetings while abiding by the shelter in place/social distancing guidelines.
- You can watch meetings on KTOP Channel 10 on Xfinity or AT&T Channel 99 Government Access to locate KTOP Channel 10. You can also watch KTOP Live online at https://www.staging.oaklandca.gov/services/ktop-tv10-program-schedule and click view.
- You can view the meetings online by the meeting calendar at https://oakland.legistar.com/calendar.aspx by clicking “In Progress”.
- There are two ways to observe meetings via Zoom; by video (computer/smart device) or phone (mobile or landline).
- If participating by video, you would click the link provided on the face of the agenda. For more information about joining a meeting, please visit - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193.
- If participating by phone, you would dial in using one of the phone numbers provided: US: +1 (669) 900-6833 (this number is the best number for accessing the meeting from within the Bay Area), (346) 248-7799, (253) 215-8782, (301) 715-8592, (312) 626-6799 or (929) 436- 2866. You can also access the meeting using the following toll-free numbers: (833) 548-0276, (833) 548-0282, (877) 853-5247, or (888) 788-0099. You would then enter the webinar ID number provided on the face of the agenda.
There are also multiple ways to comment on City Council agenda matters:
- You can submit an eComment before the meeting. To send your comment directly to Council members and staff BEFORE the meeting starts please click on https://oakland.legistar.com/calendar.aspx and click on the “eComment” link under “eComment” for the corresponding meeting. eComment submissions close five (5) minutes before posted meeting time.
- You can send emails to the entire City Council by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or emailing your Councilmember directly. Unsure of who your Councilmember is? Use the Councilmember locator found here - http://gisapps1.mapoakland.com/councildistricts/.
- There are two ways to comment via Zoom; via computer (desktop/laptop)/smart device (phone/tablet) and by phone (mobile or landline).
- To comment by Zoom video conference (computer/smart device), click the “Raise Your Hand” button to request to speak when Public Comment is being taken on the eligible Agenda item. You will then be unmuted, during your turn, and allowed to make public comments. After the allotted time, you will then be re-muted.
- To comment by phone, please call on one of the previously listed phone numbers. You will be prompted to “Raise Your Hand” by pressing “*9” to request to speak when Public Comment is being taken on the eligible Agenda Item. You will then be unmuted, during your turn, and allowed to make public comments. After the allotted time, you will then be re-muted.
Here are some additional resources on how to participate in Council meetings via Zoom:
Instructions on how to join a meeting by video conference are available at: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193
Instructions on how to join a meeting by phone are available at: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362663
Instructions on how to “Raise Your Hand” are available at: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205566129