The application deadline has been EXTENDED to July 9th 5 PM. Submissions will be reviewed on a continuous basis until all seats are filled
Oakland Youth Advisory Commission
The Oakland Youth Advisory Commission (OYAC) empowers youth to enter the public arena and tackle important issues related to public safety, housing, civic engagement, and health. Formed in 1985, OYAC advises City Council and the Mayor on youth priorities. We currently have 17 youth between the ages of 13 and 18. We welcome transitional-aged youth between 18-25 to join us as Peer Advisors and Community Ambassadors.
We are recruiting for 2021-2022!
Interested in Partnering with the Youth Commission?
Provide your information with us and we will get in touch with you shortly.
Executive Committee Members
- Benjamin Salop, D1, Co-Chair
- Barrett Valentine, D5. Co-Chair
- Alessandra Mohar, D3, Secretary
- Aniyah Story, D2, Operations Officer
- Aisha Elbgal, D1, Communications & Social Media Officer
- Harper Valentine, D5, Graphic Designer
- Civic Engagement
- Public Safety
- Housing, Transportation, and Other Policy
- Digital Communications
Oakland Youth Vote
- Read our letter of support for Oakland Youth Vote in April 2020 to City Council.
- Measure QQ was passed by voters in November 2020 by 67% to lower the voting age of School Board elections to 16-years-old.
- OYAC is now working with Council to pass an amendment to the Oakland Municipal Code to implement the results of Measure QQ.
"Fighting for Our Futures" Youth Candidates Forum in November 2020 Re-Cap
Co-Hosted by OYAC and OUSD's All City Council:
- If you missed the event, then watch the YouTube stream.
- Check out the winners of the forum in the Youth Voter Guide.
- Candidate Biographies for City Council Election
- Candidate Biographies for School Board Election
- Press Release
Public and Community Safety
OYAC is proud to have appointed two youth to the Reimagining Public Safety Task Force - Losaline Moa (D7) and Ivan Garcia (D4). They are the co-chairs of the Youth Advisory Board. Visit the RPSTF website for the list of appointees, advisory board members, agendas/minutes, and data sets. Also, check out our Report on Effective Policing from 2015!
Check out our youth who have been in the press.
'Defund the police' is more than a protest cry for these youths.
Ivan Garcia and Losaline Moa talk about their reasons for being on the TF.
Is Oakland serious about cutting its police budget?
Benjamin Salop speaks about youth perspectives on reimagining public safety.
Listen to Youth Advisory Board members talk about why they are on the YAB.
Interview with Davey D on KPFA's Hard Knock Radio
Youth know what's best for us, and with the support of adult allies, we can influence positive lasting change in our community. We are committed to listening and providing opportunities to engage in local government.