The Rent Adjustment Program is for All Oaklanders: Changes Aim to Help Address Housing Crisis
Oakland, CA - With changing demographics and a region-wide housing crisis, the Rent Adjustment Program (RAP), a unit within the Housing & Community Development Department, is regularly growing and changing to better meet the needs of all Oaklanders. RAP exists to serve landlords and tenants navigate the, sometimes, complicated systems associated with owning and renting in a major city. RAP also works to resolve tenant/landlord disputes through hearings and mediation. Learning about the most up-to-date regulations and policies impacting the housing market and getting legal guidance and resources are among the myriad resources available through the RAP.
RAP staff host drop-in and appointment hours in 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza on the 6th floor. To better serve the community, the RAP has instituted new, longer hours:
- Monday: 9:30am – 1pm
1pm – 4:30pm (Phone call-ins only)
- Tuesday - Thursday: 9:30am – 4:30pm
- Friday: 9am – 4pm (Closed except for document drop-off, on 5th floor)
RAP is hosting numerous workshops through the summer and into the fall to better educate and inform the Oakland community. With topics covering seismic retrofitting, tenant rights, landlord rights, and more, there is applicable information for all residents.
- Small Property Owners Workshop: Owner Occupied Duplex/Triplex | June 12, 5:30-7:00 pm | Library - Rockridge Branch
- Tenant Rights Workshop| July 9, 5:30-7:00 pm | Oakland City Hall, Hearing Room 2
- Evictions in Oakland: A Workshop for Oakland Property Owners | July 30, 5:30-7:00 pm | Library - Main Branch
- Tenant Rights Workshop | September 10, 5:30-7:00 pm | Library - Main Branch
- Small Property Owner’s Workshop | September 24, 5:30-7:00 pm | City Hall, Hearing Room 1
- Taller de Derechos del Inquilino (español) / Tenant Rights (in Spanish) | October 8, 5:30-7:00 pm | Spanish Speaking Citizens Foundation
- Landlord and Tenant Rights & Responsibilities – Security Deposits | October 22, 5:30-7:00 pm | Library – Main Branch
If you can’t attend a summer/fall workshop, RAP is bringing information directly to the community. Residents can meet with knowledgeable representatives from the program at one of the upcoming festivals around the Town.
- Temescal Street Fair | June 9, Noon – 6 pm | Telegraph Ave between 41st and 51st Streets
- Juneteenth Celebration | June 15, Noon – 6pm | Eastmont Town Center Parking Lot
- Art & Soul | July 27 & 28, Noon – 6pm | 14th Street, Oakland City Hall Area
- National Night Out | August 6, 7 – 9pm | Location TBD
- Laurel Street Festival | August 10 | 35th Ave. – High Street on MacArthur Blvd.
- Chinatown Street Festival | August 24 & 25 | Oakland Chinatown
For more information and questions on the Rent Adjustment Program contact 510-238-3721 or visit https://www.staging.oaklandca.gov/topics/rent-adjustment-program.