Date Posted: April 25, 2022
About: As part of the East Oakland Mobility Action Plan and FY21-23 CIP, the Oakland Department of Transportation is currently applying for Active Transportation Program (ATP) funding to design and construct the Bancroft Avenue Greenway.
Project scope: The Bancroft Avenue Greenway will provide a two mile, low-stress multi-use path on the existing Bancroft Avenue median from 73rd Avenue to 103rd Avenue. This project is a result of community engagement events and surveys as part of the East Oakland Planning for Paving, the 2019 Let's Bike Oakland Plan, and the 2021 East Oakland Mobility Action Plan.
The project includes:
- A multi-use path (Class 1)
- ADA compliant curb ramps
- Landscaping, trees, and irrigation
- Wayfinding signage
- Waste receptacles
- Spaces to meet, picnic, and BBQ
Total Project Cost: $21.5M (2020 Cost Estimate)
- Bancroft Avenue Bike and Pedestrian Safety Project: This project was awarded funding by the Highway Safety Improvement Program in 2016. This project improved safe access to the greenway by constructing high visibility crosswalks, pedestrian countdown lights, and flashing beacons.
- Safe Routes to School Capital Projects: This current set of projects includes safety enhancements at East Oakland Pride Elementary School. This project will improve crossing safety at several intersections, including at 81st Avenue and Bancroft Avenue.
- 73rd Avenue Active Routes to Transit: Oakland Department of Transportation is currently applying for funding to develop concepts for safer multimodal transportation improvements along 73rd Avenue/Hegenberger Road between Eastmont Transit Center and Coliseum BART Station. Click on the project link for more information and to take the project survey.
Contact for grant application: