OakDOT has received funding from the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) Cycle 9 to make safety improvements along Foothill Blvd between Harrington and Cole Streets. Project work includes installation of bulb-outs; pedestrian median refuge islands; crosswalk enhancements; rectangular rapid flashing beacons (RRFBs); speed cushions; signage; and refreshed roadway striping. See this map for a summary of improvement locations.
OakDOT staff will be notifying residents of this project in Spring 2022. These improvements are consistent with recommendations from OakDOT's 2017 "Oakland Walks!" pedestrian plan, and were presented to the City's Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee, Infrastructure Subcommittee on Oct. 1, 2020.
Foothill Boulevard at:
- Harrington Avenue - Median refuge island
- 45th Avenue - RRFB
- 46th Avenue - RRFB
- 50th Avenue - Bulb-outs on West crosswalk
- 51st Avenue - Bulb-outs on West crosswalk
- Congress Avenue - Median refuge island
- Cole Street - Bulb-outs at NW, NE, and SW corners