Oakland residents are invited to engage with neighbors, friends, and community organizations to create murals directly on your neighborhood streets. All levels of experience are welcome! This is an opportunity to beautify your community and enhance interactions with your neighbors. There are no fees associated with the application process and financial support is available by application based on financial need and availability. This program is run in partnership between the Oakland Department of Transportation, Eastside Arts Alliance, and Safe Passages. Check out the map to see all the locations and photos of all the upcoming and completed murals!
Please read the guidelines before applying to organize painting a street mural and find the application form linked in the guidelines on page 6.
Volunteer Sign Up Form
Don't want to organize your own mural project but want to be involved in painting or helping with mural painting days? Fill out our volunteer sign up form and we'll let you know about upcoming paint the town volunteer opportunities.
Recent & Upcoming Mural Painting Events
See the Paint the Town slideshow and the map to see the locations and photos of upcoming and completed murals!
- September 11-12 at the intersection of Dover St and 56th St by Seyed Alavi and neighbors
- July 23, 2022 Scoville St between 55th Ave and 57th Ave by neighborhood group
- July 13-15, 2022 at 6328 E 17th St, Oakland, CA 94621 by Greenleaf Elementary School
- June 21-24, 2022 at the intersection of 18th Ave and E 19th St by Oakland Trybe, the District 2 Council Office, and Roosevelt Middle School
- June 3-5, 2022 at Laurel Elementary 3750 Brown Ave, Oakland, CA 94619 by Laurel Elementary
- May 18, 2022 at Esperanza Elementary 10315 E St, Oakland, CA 94603 by Esperanza Elementary
- May 13-15, 2022 on 17th St (south) between West St and 17th St (north) by KIPP Bridge Academy
- April 22, 2022 on Ney Ave between Parker Ave and Ritchie St
- March 19, 2022 on 9th Ave between Foothill Blvd and E 15th St by Oakland Trybe, the District 2 Council Office, and Franklin Elementary School
In the News
Oakland DOT's New Mural Program is Street Art—Literally | KQED
Street art deal: Oakland DOT rolls out beautification program | Hoodline
Eyes on the Street: First “Paint the Town” Mural Hits the Streets of Oakland | Streets Blog SF
Oakland's 'Paint the Town!' mural project beautifies, encourages community collaboration | KTVU