Apply for Utility Meters

Relocating utility meters at or to a street-facing location requires Zoning review and/or Electrical or Plumbing Permits.

Before you Start

Please review the Permit Requirements below as these vary from project to project.

Ready to get started? First, make sure you are registered and activated at our Online Permit Center. For instructions, please visit our Planning & Building Video Tutorials webpage.

What to Do

Permit Requirements

How to Apply

  1. Step One: Zoning Review (Street-Facing Meters)
    • Submit a Zoning Worksheet through our Online Permit Center*
      * NOTE: You will be taken to our login page first before you can submit a Zoning Worksheet
    • In the Worksheet, upload your all site photos, a site plan, elevations and/or a cut sheet for vendor
    • A planner will review your submission
    • Once approved, you will receive confirmation from the Zoning Division
  2. Step Two: Building Permits

    For electrical meters:

    For gas meters:

  3. Step Three: Application Review

    Once we receive your application and have created it in our system, we will review your plans. If your plans require corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. For the latest processing estimates, please see our Average Permit Processing Turnaround Times webpage.

Need to Know


Call (510) 238-3891 or find quick answers through our Permit & Services Questions Portal. You may also schedule an appointment with Permit Counter staff during open hours.


Was this page helpful?

Report a problem with this page