File an Equal Employment Opportunity Complaint

Complaint Intake Application


If you would like to file a discrimination, harassment or retaliation complaint, complete and submit the Intake Assessment Form. A representative from our office will contact you to schedule an intake assessment.

The harassment and discrimination complaint process is an administrative process to resolve issues alleging acts of employment discrimination and harassment prohibited by City Administrative Instruction AI 71, and equal employment opportunity (EEO) laws and regulations.

It is available to employees and applicants for employment with the City of Oakland who allege they have been subjected to discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth,) sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, national origin, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military and veteran status or reprisal for participation in an EEO process or opposition to discrimination or harassment.

If a matter within our jurisdiction is not resolved, we will initiate a fair, impartial, independent, fact finding investigation of all relevant issues raised in your complaint.


1. It is the responsibility of each job applicant or employee who believes that (s)he has experienced conduct that may violate this policy to report the conduct promptly.

2. Verbal or written complaints must be made to the following:

a) Employment Investigations and Civil Rights Compliance(EICRC), City Administrator's Office,150 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, 2nd Floor, Wilson Building, Oakland, CA (510) 238-3500.

b) Additional complaint sources:
• Immediate supervisor
• Any department or agency head, director, manager, or supervisor

3. Any manager or supervisor who becomes aware of or acquires knowledge of conduct in violation of this policy, or who receives a verbal or written complaint, is required to report it immediately to the EICRC department head.

4. An employee or applicant may also complain directly to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the Civil Rights Department (CRD) in accordance with their procedures.