Revising OPD's Community Policing Policy
The Oakland Police Commission formed the 15-01 Ad Hoc to craft a new Community Policing Policy for the Oakland Police Department. This new policy will be drafted with the following objectives in mind:
- Suggest clear guidance for OPD, community groups, and members of the public to engage and develop trust and relationships;
- Directing OPD to support community engagement and neighborhood empowerment objectives laid out by the Oakland Neighborhood Services Division (Neighborhood Service Coordinators);
- Directing OPD to support non-law enforcement solutions to community-identified neighborhood issues;
- Directing OPD to reasonably prioritize non-law enforcement solutions to community-identified neighborhood issues;
- Incentivizing OPD and beat officer participation in NCPCs;
- Even when OPD is engaged to solve community-identified neighborhood issues, OPD should ensure the participation of community and City stakeholders to ensure accountability and procedural justice.