Ways to get involved
Police policies are designed to provide the rules, guidance and instruction for Oakland’s police officers to do their duties.
The Oakland Police Commission, along with Community Groups and the OPD are working towards crafting a policy that encourages and promotes rebuilding trust and relationships between Police and the communities they serve, elevating problem solving techniques and empowering Oakland neighborhood.
Weigh in and have your voice heard by clicking the link to add your comments and edits to the draft policy, taking our short survey and joining us at our next Saturday meeting.
Revising OPD's Community Policing Policy
The Oakland Police Commission formed the 15-01 Ad Hoc to craft a new Community Policing Policy for the Oakland Police Department. This new policy will be drafted with the following objectives in mind:
- Suggest clear guidance for OPD, community groups, and members of the public to engage and develop trust and relationships;
- Directing OPD to support community engagement and neighborhood empowerment objectives laid out by the Oakland Neighborhood Services Division (Neighborhood Service Coordinators);
- Directing OPD to support non-law enforcement solutions to community-identified neighborhood issues;
- Directing OPD to reasonably prioritize non-law enforcement solutions to community-identified neighborhood issues;
- Incentivizing OPD and beat officer participation in NCPCs;
- Even when OPD is engaged to solve community-identified neighborhood issues, OPD should ensure the participation of community and City stakeholders to ensure accountability and procedural justice.
Community Members & Groups
- Mariano Contreras, Latino Task Force, Coalition for Police Accountability
- Creighton Davis, Community Policing Advisory Board (CPAB)
- Joe DeVries
- Jose Dorado, Commissioner (former), Oakland Police Commission
- Candice Elder, East Oakland Collective
- Omar Farmer, Community Rep, Public Safety and Services Violence Prevention Oversight Commission (SSOC)
- Paula Hawthorn, Commissioner, Public Safety and Services Violence Prevention Oversight Commission (SSOC)
- Pastor Anthony Jenkins
- Cathy Leonard, Coalition for Police Accountability
- Reginald Lyles
- Mike Nisperos, Commissioner (former), Oakland Police Commission
- Wilson Riles, Jr. Oakland City Council (former)
- Pastor Jacqueline Thompson, Allen Temple
Oakland Police Department