Records Requests

The Planning & Building Department's Records Unit can help you find property, building and permit records; schedule an appointment to view project plans for a property; or issue a subpoena request. Learn more about our services below.

Request Public Records

In accordance with the City of Oakland's Sunshine Ordinance and the State of California's Brown Act, we offer the following services for requesting and viewing public records kept with the City.

Request Residential Building Records

A Residential Building Record (3-R Report) provides the permit history for a property. Click below to submit an application. Standard cost is $307.53 for 2-month turnaround. A 3-R Report can only be provided to the owner of the property or someone with authorization from the owner. Proof of ownership (copy of a Deed of Trust) must be provided for all 3-R Report requests.

Once the application is received and reviewed, staff will contact you to verify the information and provide your record number. Once you have your record number you may call the cashier to make payment. Please expect a 15-business-day turnaround for staff to review your application.

Submit Plan Viewing Request

If you'd like to see project plans for a property, follow the link below, then click the "Make Request" button. Be sure to describe the plans you wish to view and select "Planning & Building" from the department list. Once the plans have been located, staff will reach out to you to schedule a viewing appointment.

Authorize Duplication of Building Plans

If you'd like to make copies of project plans for a property:

STEP 1: Submit a Public Records Request. Visit our Open Public Records website, then click on the "Make Request" button. Be sure to describe the plans you wish to view and select "Planning & Building" from the department list.

STOP! Please wait for staff to contact you before proceeding to Step 2.

STEP 2: Once/if the plans have been located, staff will contact you. At that time, please fill out and digitally sign the applicable forms listed below to authorize the duplication of building plans:

Request Subpoenas

The Planning & Building Department is accepting Subpoena Requests by mail. Please mail to the following address:

City of Oakland – Planning & Building
Attention: Cashier Station/Hartini Chu
250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, 2nd Floor
Oakland, CA 94612

Please note that there is a $275 fee for depositions and a $15 fee for records. Please include checks made payable to the City of Oakland when the subpoena is served.

Request Re-Roofing & Insulation Certificates

Building owners may certify that their re-roofing and insulation projects meet safety and code requirements. Re-Roofing and Insulation Certificates are valid for 180 days after issuance.

Find Permit Forms & Project Requirements

Follow the links below to find the Planning & Building forms you'll need to submit permit applications or visit our Projects Directory outlining the permit requirements for common project types.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: How do I submit a Public Records Request?

A: Submit a Public Record Request online.

Q: How much does a Residential Building Records (3-R Report) cost?

A: A 3-R Report costs $307.53 and can take up to two months to process.

Q: When can I schedule a plan viewing appointment?

A: The process starts with a Public Records Request. Please submit a Public Record Request online for your plan request. On the Records Request website, click the "Make Request" button. Be sure to describe the plans you wish to view and select "Planning & Building" from the department list. Staff will reach out to you directly once the plans have been located.

Q: What records are available in the Online Permit Center?

A: You can view general Building, Code Enforcement & Planning records after 1987 by visiting our Online Permit Center (no login required).

Contact Us

Phone Numbers

Email Address