The West Oakland Job Resource Center (WOJRC) individuals who are interested in applying to the construction trades apprenticeship programs. Apprentices can earn $13-$25 per hour plus benefits.
- Can pass a drug test (including marijuana)
- Have at least an eighth grade reading and math level (preferably GED or High School diploma)
- Have documents proving legal eligibility to work in the United States
- Proof of Oakland residency for 6 months prior to registering with us, AND
- Have a valid California Driver License or California ID
If you don't meet these criteria, come by and we will be glad to give you information about agencies that can help you.
- Operation Engineers
- Plumbers and Pipefitters
- Sprinklefitters and others
The WOJRC will not only help you get a job, but into a career. We will help you learn lifelong skills in building and constuction, while earning wages. The WOJRC also screens individuals for employment opportunities with the City of Oakland, Port of Oakland, Oakland Army Base construction project, and other construction projects. THE WOJRC is a joint project of the City of Oakland, employers, unions and community organizations.
General orientation to the construction trades and apprenticeships held the second and fourth Tuesday of each month.
Pre-Apprenticeship Test Preparation
WOJRC also holds test preparation assistance for apprenticeship exams every Tuesday 5:00 to 7:00 pm at 1801 Adeline Street, Room 210 Oakland, CA 94607. Call 510 419-0509 to register.
One-on-one Career Counseling and guidance
- Construction Contractors
- Apprenticeship Programs
- Pre-Apprenticeship Training Programs
- Other Employment Services
We hold information workshops of Oakland residents interested in building and construction trade careers on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month. We also hold specialized workshops geared towards women and workshops for the various construction trade apprenticeship programs.